Published Student Writing
Students enrolled in NYU’s college-in-prison program at Wallkill Correctional Facility participate in a year-long Journalism Club led by journalist Aaron Gell and contribute frequently to news outlets such as Medium and “The Wallkill Journal“ in The Washington Square News. Read recently published articles below.
- May 14th, 2020 in Washington Square News: Unseen Wounds: “We spoke about serving in the military, the similarity between the army and incarceration, and grappling with unseen wounds.” by Andy Lopez
- Dec 23, 2019 in NYU Local: A College Commencement Attracts Prominent Guests – to a New York Prison by Joseph Beer
- Nov 18, 2019 in Washington Square News: Financial Independence at 25 Cents an Hour by Omar Padilla
- Sept 16, 2019 in Medium: Sweet Feed; Incarceration, Illness, and the Healing Power of Horses by Harold Williams
- April 8th, 2019 in Medium: Incarcerated at age 11 by Aunray Stanford
- August 6th, 2018 in PEN America: The Box by Derick McCarthy
Annual Volume of Creative Writing
Incarcerated students participate in a year-long course Creating a Publication led by Allyson Paty from the Gallatin School’s Writing Program to write, edit, design and publish an annual publication of creative writing, in an effort to share their work more broadly within our communities at NYU.